Posts from — October 2008
Google recently released a beta version of their new Internet Browser called Chrome in more than 100 countries. Their approach is to provide a web browser better suited to handle the media rich experience that users now expect on the Internet.Chrome boasts a host of features including enhanced stability through a multi-processer design and increased security from malware and phishing through concepts like sandboxing. It’s no surprise that enhanced search features have been carefully integrated into the user experience. Despite the unique direction Google is taking, Chrome will remain an open source project, allowing developers to build upon the application. [Read more →]
October 30, 2008 No Comments
Too many Singapore small business owners ignore the importance of having a professional online presence. As a small business owner, how much value can your website bring to your company? You may already have a professionally designed, robust e-commerce site filled with dynamic information that is updated on a daily basis. Instead, maybe you have a simple site filled with static content such as your mission statement or contact information. Or are you among the majority of Singaporean small business owners who have no web presence at all?
A recent blog post titled Being online IS worth the time and money addresses the common misconceptions many small business owners have regarding the value of their web presence. This post highlights several factors unique to the small business market and addresses the key myth surrounding online sales.
In addition to these factors, there are several other potential benefits you should consider:
Making Your Business Seem Larger
A professional site with valuable content will help your customers take your business serious. It’s important to remember that most potential customers and clients are unaware of your small business status. If the design and content of your website is on par with those of larger competitors, your business will be perceived as a larger entity.
Today’s average shopper expects business to have a web site. If your target market is young, mobile, or tech savvy, the expectations for impressive, feature-rich design and dynamic content are even greater. If your top competitors have web sites, you must ensure yours is equivalent at the very least if you wish to attract new clientele. Ideally, your website should strive to top those websites in all aspects. You should also determine if your clients have web sites. If your clients understand the value of a web presence, they are more likely to expect the same from you.
Lowering Marketing Costs
Obviously, selling products and services online are a great way to increase revenue. However, not all small businesses are interested in pursing this option. Instead you should consider an investment in marketing your products and services on your web site. Web savvy consumers often begin their research by reviewing products and service information on your website. If this information is unavailable, this group may pass you by. Once this information is available on your web site, it can be easily distributed to potential clients without the need to print excessively.
In today’s Information Age, a web site is no longer an option, no matter how large or small your business may be. Ensure your online strategy is reviewed and updated at regular intervals. And remember, the only thing worse than not having a website is having an unprofessional and poorly maintained site that lowers the reputation of your business.
October 21, 2008 No Comments
Shared Hosting is very popular because it is economical - the service allows multiple customers to share the resources of one computer, thereby spreading out costs among many. In order to protect the integrity of information, file security schemes are used. In order to insulate one customer from another, some key processes are mapped to a specific domain (customer). These solutions are workable, but the bottom line is that being on a shared server is like living in an apartment with a lot of common areas.The Virtual Private Server (VPS) is designed to be economical, by allowing multiple customers to share the resources of one computer, yet with an extremely high degree of privacy and insulation. The separation is achieved by running a complete separate operating system for each customer. VPS customers have “root” level access and can enjoy many of the benefits of a dedicated server, at a much lower cost. VPS is like living in a town house, without the long term house payment!
HostSG is pleased to offer VPS hosting for all plans, starting with our entry level S$60 per month plan all the way up through our Enterprise level plans! We use state of the art hosting management software, called Virtuozzo, to implement our VPS environments.
Here are some key advantages that VPS offers over shared hosting.
1. Security - VPS accounts are insulated from each other, minimizing the risk of unauthorized access from hackers as well as other customers. The isolation of your account also minimizes the risk of being impacted by a DoS attack that was intended for someone else.
2. Performance - All resources can be regulated in the VPS environment. One customer can not run away with a large share of the resources. You service will run reliably and predictably.
3. Protected Mail Service - Each VPS account has its own private mail server. This eliminates the risk that your mail service will be blacklisted due to abuses of others sharing the same mail service. It also allows you to take your inbox back from the SPAMMERS.
4. Customer Installed Applications - With our VPS you have your own partition and root access. You have the ability to install applications that we do not offer. Please note that we do not provide support for customer installed applications. You also must assume the responsibility to update any applications that you install in the event that a security vulnerability is discovered in the verson you install.
5. Flexibility - Some applications require that certain ports and/or protocols be opened or closed in the firewall. With Shared hosting, custom firewall configurations are not advisable for security reasons.
6. Growth Path - Our VPS system allows us to manage your VPS as an image. This means that your entire environment can be restored from backup to any physical server with no changes to your configuration. You can also easily downgrade or upgrade your service with no downtime!
HostSG provides reliable and affordable VPS hosting service in Singapore and is trusted by more than 10,000 businesses. Since 1997, HostSG remains the top choice for businesses and large corporate in managed hosting services due to her highly reliable service reputation.
October 17, 2008 No Comments
New Look and Feel
Your website may be the first encounter potential customers have with your business. Does it accurately portray your corporate culture? Your design can be whimsical, sophisticated, high tech, elegant, or modern. On the flip side, it can be sloppy, thoughtless, or unorganized. Or perhaps your company has recently restructured or updated their image. Don’t forget to include your website’s design. A good first impression is important, but an accurate impression is just as critical.
Effective and User-Friendly Navigation
Over time, your usage metrics and customer feedback will help determine the success of your site’s navigation. This information will help you understand which pages are useful, which ones are ignored, and which critical pieces of information are missing. As you adjust your content, you should also review your navigation and ensure customers can quickly and easily find the content they need. [Read more →]
October 6, 2008 No Comments